What is WEB?
WEB, or “Where Everyone Belongs” is CLP’s year-long transition program designed to help 6th graders become excellent middle school students. The move into middle school can be difficult for 6th graders for a variety of reasons and our 8th grade WEB Leaders intentionally support incoming students in the three most important areas of transition:
- Safety: 6th graders need to feel physically and emotionally safe enough to take risks, challenge themselves, and engage with our school community.
- Information: 6th graders want to know about the things that matter to them most, not just the school rules.
- Connection: 6th graders need to feel connected to their new school. Connections with peers, school staff, and interests are crucial to academic success in middle school and beyond.
- WEB is all about students helping students. WEB leaders are 8th grade students who represent every aspect of CLP Middle School. Our challenge is, “If it is not in WEB, it is not Pirate Culture.” That means we expect every 6th grader who comes to CLP Middle School to see a WEB leader or leaders who shares their interests, cultural background, academic level, or any other aspect of themselves they feel is important to who they are. “Where Everyone Belongs” is the message we want all our students hearing from day one.
- 6th graders are introduced to their WEB Leaders before Orientation day and work with them for the rest of the school year. A day or two prior to Orientation Day, WEB Leaders will call and invite every sixth grader in their group. After the first day, WEB Leaders will be in 6th grade advisories once per week to provide support to their groups through a variety of activities as well as one on one check-ins. WEB Leaders connect with 6th graders through the following methods:
- Academic Follow-Ups: WEB Leaders engage 6th grade advisories in activities that teach crucial middle school skills and CLP middle school values such as time and stress management, creating a support system around you, and challenging yourself at school.
- Social Follow-Ups: CLP knows our school functions help to build a positive school climate. WEB Leaders encourage their 6th graders to come to school functions like dances, athletic events, and student-led-conferences. They encourage 6th graders to join school clubs. WEB Leaders and their WEB groups may even go to these events together.
- Leader Initiated Contacts: CLP values leadership, and allows our WEB Leaders to creatively connect with their 6th graders on a more individual basis either through advisory, seeing each other in the halls, having the same ELO, or so much more.
- WEB is a program created by the Boomerang Project almost 30 years ago. Their passion is helping schools both teach and reach their students through dynamic, research-based orientation and transition programming. Both of our WEB Coordinators have been trained by Boomerang Instructors. More information can be found at www.boomerangproject.com.
- Our WEB Program is coordinated by our School Counselors Mr. Fanning (firstname.lastname@example.org) and Ms. Duke (email@example.com). Please contact them with any questions you may have.